3 ingredient crepes (french pancakes) are so easy to do that even a child can make them.
Crepes are made from simple ingredients but when we talk about toppings and filings the possibilities are virtually endless!
These delicate thin and tender pastry desserts are usually filled with different fresh fruits (mostly strawberry and bananas), different fruit jams, chocolate (Nutella), Mascarpone, cream cheese, lemon curd, creme fraiche.
But, I grew up with the most simple crepes recipe: simple crepes batter filled with whatever jam we happen to have in the house.
Mostly plum jam, that was my favorite.
Today I’m going to use 2 of my other favorites fruit jams that I like with my crepes: sour cherry and blueberry jams.
Let’s start doing our simple 3 ingredient crepes recipe. The classic french pancakes batter uses flour, sugar, milk and butter.
My recipe is not that classic: I am using sparkling water instead of milk and ditch the sugar, because is making the batter stick to the pan when frying.
That way, these crepes can be used as sweet or savory – fell free to fill them with virtually everything you have around.
For my 3 ingredient crepes batter we are going to need:
🍒 Simple 3 Ingredient Crepes (French Pancakes)
There are simple 3 main ingredients for this french pancakes batter: eggs, flour and sparkling water.
- Eggs – a crucial ingredient
- Flour – all purpose flour will do just fine
- Sparkling water – to make them fluffy
- Salt – a pinch
- Fruit jam – for filling
- Some vanilla extract (optional)
- Icing sugar to decorate (optional)
🥞 How To Make 3 Ingredient Crepes (French Pancakes)
1️ Step one: Make the batter
In a large bawl beat the eggs with a pinch of salt. I use a simple whisk and beat them for 2-3 minutes.
Now it’s time to add the liquid – the sparkling water (or the milk if you use the classic recipe).
Use some vanilla essence if you’re doing dessert crepes.
Stir a few times to mix well all together. Add the sifted flour and stir again until all the flour is incorporated and the batter is smooth and fluffy.
It should look like this:
2️ Step two: Cook the crepes
Put a large non-stick pan on medium-high heat and let it heat well. Use a ladle and and pour the batter in the center of the pan.
Then, immediately tilt and swirl the pan in circular motion until the bottom of the pan is covered with the mixture.
I don’t use anything to grease the pan, but if your batter is sticking to your pan’s bottom you can spray with oil or slightly butter the pan to better cook your crepes.
It’s better to use a non-stick preferably hard bottom kind of pan to cook the crepes.
Make sure the heat is mostly high and you only have to cook about 1 minute on each side, until the crepe is golden brown and dark spots are appearing.
Use a spatula to easily turn the crepes over to the other side, as soon as the edges are lifting from the bottom.
As soon as the other side is done, flip it over to a plate and repeat the cooking process until the batter is used up.
Place them one on top of each other to keep them warm and moist until the last one is done.
3️ Step three: Top and wrap as desired
When the cooking is done, start filling the crepes to your liking and roll them up or fold them into quarters.
I spread some sour cherry jam on some and blueberry jam on others.
I folded them in quarters and dust them with icing sugar, then topped some with extra jam for the color effect.
Add some whipped cream to the filling if you have at hand.
Adding some almond flakes would make them a top dessert.
🍴 Decorate And Serve Your French Pancakes
Would you like one? I bet you would. 🙂
That’s it! A simple to make dessert crepes ready in no time, with just 3 ingredients.
These french pancakes are definitely worth making whenever you’re short on time but in desperately mood for something sweet and easy to make.
Try them and come back to let me know if you liked them.
Bon appetit! If you like this recipe, rate it or save it on Pinterest to have it at hand.
Other delicious recipes to try:
- No Bake Chocolate Salami (delicious, full of flavor dessert)
- Sour Cream Garlic Chicken Soup (a must try recipe)
- Delicious Pan Fried Zucchini (try this instead of zucchini fries)
French Pancakes: Simple 3 Ingredients Crepes
- 3 eggs
- 2 ½ cups (600ml) sparkling water
- 2 ⅛ cups (270g) flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- fruit jam (for filling)
- icing sugar (to decorate)
- Make the batter. Beast the eggs with a pinch of salt. Add the sparkling water. Mix well. Add the sifted flour and whisk everything together until obtaining a smooth batter.
- Cook the crepes into a large non-stick pan on medium-high heat about 1 minute on each side. Place them one on top of each other on a large plate to maintain warm and moist.
- Fill them with fruit jam or fresh fruits, Nutella or any other desired dessert ingredient and roll them or fold into fourths. Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately while still warm.