This biscuit chocolate salami is a delicious no bake dessert, easy to make and loved all around the world. There are many versions of it – Portuguese (salame de chocolate), Italian (salame di cioccolato) and eastern European ones.
This is a Romanian recipe named Salam de Biscuiti. It’s a very much loved dessert recipe, especially because is cheap and so easy to make. Simple, easy, delish… The image speaks for itself.
Let’s see what we need for this no bake Romanian chocolate biscuit salami.
🍪 Ingredients Used For This Recipe
Ingredients for this dessert are simple and some of them you probably already have it around.
We are going to use some:
- Petit Beurre/digestive biscuits/butter cookies
- Unsalted butter, milk, sugar
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Turkish delight, raisins
- Vanilla and rum extract
- Finely chopped/ground walnuts
- Icing sugar to decorate
🎂 How To Make This Chocolate Salami
The process of making this salame de chocolate is very simple.
1️ Step one: Make the cocoa syrup
We begin by putting a pot on the stove at medium heat. Pour the milk in, add the raisins, sugar, butter and cocoa. Stir occasionally until the sugar and butter dissolves and bring to a boiling point. Boil for 30 seconds. Turn off the heat.
2️ Step to: Break the biscuits & add the syrup
Break the biscuits with your hands in small pieces into a large bawl.
Add the aromas (essences) into cocoa syrup and pour this hot liquid over the biscuits. Stir well with a spoon/wooden palette until the liquid is well absorbed and all the biscuit pieces are covered with the cocoa syrup.
3️ Step tree: Form the salami
Cut the Turkish delight into small pieces. Add them to the biscuit mixture along with the ground walnuts. Stir well to really blend all things together.
Place this mixture onto a parchment paper (or cling film) and using the paper mold it into a salami shape. Wrap it tight into this salami shape and secure the ends with strings/wooden clips.
4️ Step four: Let it set in the fridge
Place the roll in the fridge to set for about 4-5 hours or better let it overnight. Take it out, unwrap the salami and coat it with icing sugar to give it the ‘real salami’ look. Use your hand to rub the icing sugar all over the chocolate salami.
🍴 Serving And Preserving
That’s it! This dessert is ready to eat. Slice before serving and enjoy your delicious chocolate salami. Wrap it in cling film and keep it in the fridge up to a week and/or can freeze it up to 3 months.
💡 Make It Your Own / Many Variables
- You can replace raisins and Turkish delight with dried/candied fruits
- You can replace walnuts with any kind if nuts, or use pistachio/almonds
- You can upgrade it with a splash of alcohol (such as brandy, rum or Amaretto)
- You can use any aromas/extracts you like
Other delicious recipe to try:
- French Pancakes (easy, versatile dessert crepes)
- Healthy Potato Salad With Eggs (try my healthy version)
- Pan Fried Zucchini (alternative to your zucchini fries)
Chocolate Salami Recipe (Salame De Chocolate)
- 4 cups (450g) Petite Beurre/digestive/butter biscuits
- 1/2 cup (100g) butter
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (40g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup (200ml) milk
- 1 1/2 cups (150g) chopped & ground walnuts
- 2/3 cup (100g) raisins
- 1 cup (150g) Turkish delight
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp rum extract
- 2 tbsp icing sugar to decorate
- Bring to a boil on medium heat the milk, sugar, cocoa, raisins and butter together. Boil for 30 seconds. Turn off the heat and prepare the biscuits.
- Break the biscuits into small pieces in large bawl. Add the flavored extracts to the cocoa syrup and pour the hot liquid over the biscuits. Mix well so they are all covered by the syrup and starting to absorb the liquid. Let aside until you take care of the Turkish delight.
- Cut the Turkish delight in small pieces. Add it to the biscuit mixture. Add the chopped and ground walnuts too. Stir well to incorporate all things together.
- Place this mixture onto a parchment paper (or cling film) and give it a 'salami' form. Wrap it very tight with the parchment paper into this salami form and secure the ends.
- Place it into the fridge and let it rest until firm, about 4-5 hours. Overnight is better.
- Unwrap and coat with icing sugar. Slice and serve with a cup of coffee or your favorite tea.