Chocolate (biscuit) salami is a delicious no bake dessert, easy to make and loved all around the world. There are many versions of it – Portuguese (salame de chocolate), Italian (salame di cioccolato) and other eastern European variations.
This is a Romanian recipe named Salam de Biscuiti. It’s a very much loved dessert recipe, especially because is cheap and so easy to make. Simple, easy, delish…
This image speaks for itself.
Let’s see what we need for this no bake Romanian chocolate salami dessert.
🍪 Ingredients We Need For This Chocolate Salami
Ingredients for this dessert are simple and some of them you probably already have it around.
We are going to use some:
- Petit Beurre/digestive biscuits/butter cookies
- Unsalted butter, milk, sugar
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Turkish delight, raisins
- Vanilla and rum extract
- Finely chopped/ground walnuts
- Icing sugar to decorate
🎂 How To Make Chocolate Biscuit Salami
The process of making this chocolate salami is very simple. It takes longer to set, than to make it.
1️ Step one: Make the cocoa syrup
We begin by putting a pot on the stove at medium heat. Pour the milk in, add the raisins, sugar, butter and cocoa. Stir occasionally until the sugar and butter dissolves and bring to a boiling point. Boil for 30 seconds. Turn off the heat.
2️ Step to: Break the biscuits & add the syrup
Break the biscuits with your hands in small pieces into a large bawl.
Add the extracts to the cocoa syrup and pour this hot liquid over the biscuits. Stir well with a spoon/wooden palette until the liquid is well absorbed and all the biscuit pieces are covered with the cocoa syrup.
3️ Step tree: Form the salami
Cut the Turkish delight into small pieces. Add them to the biscuit mixture along with the ground walnuts. Stir well to really blend all things together.
Place this mixture onto a parchment paper (or cling film) and using the paper mold it into a salami shape. Wrap it tight into this salami shape and secure the ends with strings/wooden clips.
4️ Step four: Let it set in the fridge
Place the roll in the fridge to set for about 4-5 hours or better let it overnight. Take it out, unwrap the salami and coat it with icing sugar to give it the ‘real salami’ look. Use your hand to rub the icing sugar all over the chocolate salami.
Variate using with desiccated coconut some times. Or even cocoa powder. To complete decoration, use your imagination and top with nuts, almond flakes, pieces of dried fruits. As you feel at the moment.
🍴 Serving And Preserving Chocolate / Biscuit Salami
That’s it! This dessert is ready to eat. Slice before serving and enjoy your delicious chocolate salami next to a cup of coffee or your favorite cup of tea.
Wrap it in cling film and keep in the fridge up to a week and/or you can freeze it up to 3 months.
💡 Make It Your Own / Many Variables
- You can replace raisins and Turkish delight with dried/candied fruits
- You can replace walnuts with any kind if nuts, or use pistachio/almonds
- You can upgrade it with a splash of alcohol (such as brandy, rum or Amaretto)
- You can use any aromas / extracts you like
Vegan Chocolate Salami
You can easily make it vegan by replacing butter with coconut oil and regular milk with coconut milk or almond milk. You can also replace the milk with fruit juice to enjoy many variants, textures and flavors.
This dessert is so versatile! Also, dust with cocoa or desiccated coconut instead of icing sugar to give it various aspects and decorations. Sprinkle with ground walnuts or almonds on top, sky is the limit when imagination comes to play. 🙂
If you liked this chocolate salami (biscuit salami) recipe – rate it, share it with your FB friends or save it for later in Pinterest.
Other delicious recipe to try:
- French Pancakes (easy, versatile dessert crepes)
- Healthy Potato Salad With Eggs (try my healthy version)
- Pan Fried Zucchini (alternative to your zucchini fries)
Chocolate Salami (Biscuit Salami)
- 4 cups (450g) Petite Beurre/digestive/butter biscuits
- 1/2 cup (100g) butter
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (40g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup (200ml) milk
- 1 1/2 cups (150g) chopped & ground walnuts
- 2/3 cup (100g) raisins
- 1 cup (150g) Turkish delight
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp rum extract
- 2 tbsp icing sugar to decorate
- Bring to a boil on medium heat the milk, sugar, cocoa, raisins and butter together. Boil for 30 seconds. Turn off the heat and prepare the biscuits.
- Break the biscuits into small pieces in large bawl. Add the flavored extracts to the cocoa syrup and pour the hot liquid over the biscuits. Mix well so they are all covered by the syrup and starting to absorb the liquid. Let aside until you take care of the Turkish delight.
- Cut the Turkish delight in small pieces. Add it to the biscuit mixture. Add the chopped and ground walnuts too. Stir well to incorporate all things together.
- Place this mixture onto a parchment paper (or cling film) and give it a 'salami' form. Wrap it very tight with the parchment paper into this salami form and secure the ends.
- Place it into the fridge and let it rest until firm, about 4-5 hours. Overnight is better.
- Unwrap and coat with icing sugar. Slice and serve with a cup of coffee or your favorite tea.
I really liked this dessert! Thanks for the detailed recipe.