Easy and simple autumn’s upside down plum cake recipe that will quickly evaporate from your plate.
Ripe, juicy plums in sweet caramel with a hint of cinnamon on top of a fluffy sponge. Sounds great? It really looks delicious.
Let’s make this easy plum cake recipe. We really need a few simple ingredients and we’re on our way to bake a very easy but mouth watering upside down cake that will be eaten even faster than it took cooking it.
🍑 Upside Down Plum Cake Ingredients
There are very simple ingredients used in this recipe:
- Plums – fresh ripe, juicy plums
- Eggs – fresh, organic if possible
- Flour – all purpose will do
- Sugar – plain sugar for sweetness
- Cinnamon – ground cinnamon for flavor
- Vegetable oil – needed for elasticity
- Baking powder – raising agent
- Vanilla extract – or almond, rum, any favorites
🍰 How To Make This Upside Down Plum Cake
This plum cake is so simple and easy to make. Just follow the steps below:
1️ Step one: Make the caramel
Prepare a 8 x12 inches rectangle baking cake pan, spray it with oil and line it with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper also.
Rinse the plums and let them dry. Make a dry caramel (Nila explains it great here) melting 5 tbsp of sugar in a non-stick sauce pan.
Pour it gently (with care!) into the cake form and make sure it coats all the pan’s bottom.
Cut the plums in halves and remove their pits.
Place them over the caramel with the cut down. Sprinkle with lots of ground cinnamon.
Preheat the oven at 340 degrees (medium).
2️ Step two: Make the batter
Separate the eggs. Place the egg whites in a large bawl and add a pinch of salt.
Start beating with a mixer until firm peaks are forming. Add in about half of the sugar and mix until it forms a meringue.
In another bawl put together the egg yolks, the remaining sugar, the oil and vanilla extract.
Mix them until the sugar dissolves and the mixture gets a silky appearance and doubles in volume. Now we’re going to add this mixture to the meringue, in 2-3 batches.
We are going to use ONLY a rubber spatula and gentle folding moves from now on.
Gently incorporate with slow moves all the yellow mixture. Next, add the sifted flour and the baking powder in the same way, mixing it slowly with folding moves so all the air stays in the batter.
Stop as soon as the flour is incorporated, don’t over mix it.
Pour the batter over the plums and evenly smooth the surface with your spatula.
3️ Step tree: Bake the plum cake
Bake the upside down plum cake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Take the cake out of the oven and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
Run a knife around edges to ensure it’s loosened from the baking pan.
Using a quick and secure flipping move transfer the cake onto your desired platter.
Remove the pan and the parchment paper and let it cool completely.
🍽️ Serving The Upside Down Plum Cake
Cut and slice the plum cake when completely cool.
Decorate with icing sugar if desired and enjoy your piece of delicious plum cake.
That was easy, wasn’t it?…
🍏 Variation: Upside Down Apple Cake
And because it was so easy, I made one with apples too, a few days later.
This cake is so versatile, you can use almost any fresh fruits at hand. I had a few apples laying around and I was asked to do something with them.
So, I decided to variate this recipe and add a little something extra.
I used 2 sliced apples instead of plums. When all the flour was incorporated, I transferred 1/3 of the batter in another bawl and added 2 tbsp of cocoa.
I poured this batter over the apples and caramel, then the white batter over it.
I finely sliced a 3rd apple and pressed those slices it into the batter so I have some pieces of fruits into the cake.
You can see the result is below: more deliciousness for me to indulge!
I encourage you to try and innovate to your liking with other fruits like apricots, peaches, pears, pineapple, bananas, oranges, cherries and more.
More delish recipes to try:
- Chocolate salami (easy no bake biscuit cake)
- Romanian Stuffed Peppers ( a must try delish recipe)
- Fried Zucchini Medallions (alternative to zucchini fries)
- Romanian Eggplant Spread (alternative to baba ganoush)
- Beans Dip With Tomato Topping (vegan deliciousness)
Upside Down Plum Cake Recipe
- 8"x12" baking pan
- 1.1 lbs plums
- 3/4 cup (170g) sugar
- 5 tbsp sugar for the caramel
- 1 cup (120g) plain flour
- 5 fresh eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp cinnamon (to taste)
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Spray and line with parchment paper your baking pan. Make a dry caramel melting 5 tbsp of sugar in a non-stick saucepan. Pour it with care into the prepared baking pan, coating the bottom.Rinse and pat dry the plums. Cut them in halves and remove the pits. Place them over the caramel, with the cut down. Sprinkle with cinnamon to taste.Preheat the oven at 340 degrees F (170 degrees C).
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until firm peaks are forming. Add 1/2 of the sugar and continue beating until becomes a meringue. Separately, beat the egg yolks, the rest of the sugar, the oil and vanilla extract until it becomes a smooth, silky cream.Incorporate gently with folding moves this yellow cream into the meringue, then the sifted flour and the baking powder. Smooth the surface and bake the cake for about 30 minutes at 340 degrees F (medium heat).
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes, run a knife to loosen the edges and flip it onto a serving platter. Remove the baking paper. Cut / slice it when completely cooled down. Decorate with icing sugar (optional).