Oh, this fresh tomato salad!! Juicy, flavorful, tasting delicious – my favorite of all salads. I could eat this every day, tomatoes being my favorite veggies. Tomato salad in a staple recipe in every home, I guess. It’s easy, versatile and loved by everyone.
I often keep it simple and make this salad with just tomatoes, salt and olive oil. And that’s more than enough for me. That delicious salad juice is worth battle for. 😀
But, for a more complete flavor of this salad and more freshness I usually add some cucumbers, onion and whatever peppers I have on hand. A touch of parsley can make this salad a whole dish in itself, if you’re on a diet.
Let’s see what ingredients are needed for this fresh tomato salad.
🍅 Ingredients For Tomato Cucumber Onion Salad
Well, the title is somehow self explanatory. We are going to need those veggies, plus something for the dressing. All simple ingredients that everyone is having around all summer long.
- Tomatoes – the key ingredient – always choose fresh, ripe, farmer’s market tomatoes
- Cucumbers – add more crunchiness and freshness to the salad
- Red onion – for the zing and for color (white onion is also fine)
- Peppers – any kind you have around will do
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil – to enhance flavors
- Fresh parsley – to complement the salad
Fresh salads are always easy to do and quickly put together, so it’s best to do them just before serving. Make just enough quantity you consider necessary for one time serving, they lose their taste and visual appeal after few hours.
What type of tomatoes to use in tomato salad?
Don’t worry about the type of tomato you can use. I made this salad with every type I could find, and each was fabulous. The big ones leave more juice, however. The most important thing is they have to be ripe, that’s when they have more sweetness and develop full flavor.
Let’s proceed making this salad.
🥗 How To Make Tomato Cucumber Onion Salad
1️ Step one: Prep the veggies
Clean and rinse the vegetables. Peel the cucumbers, cut the pepper in half and get rid of its seeds. Peel the onion.
2️ Step two: Cut all the veggies
Prepare a large bawl to make the salad. Start cutting the greens: cut the cucumbers in thin slices, julienne the pepper and onion, finely chop the parsley.
Next, slice the tomatoes and put them over. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Give them a quick toss.
3️ Step tree: Add olive oil
Add the olive oil and toss some more until everything is well blended. The wonderful olive oil flavor will beautifully blend with the sweetness of the tomatoes resulting a match made in heaven. The other veggies have each and everyone their part in enhancing this salad’s deliciousness.
The result is a fresh and ready to eat healthy tomato salad that not only looks good, but is loaded with vitamins, minerals and fiber.
That’s it! The salad is ready. Enjoy!
- you can replace the parsley with basil
- you can add a minced garlic clove
- you can add some feta cheese
🍽️ Serve This Fresh Salad Immediately
Take it to the table to serve it as a side dish to virtually everything, especially with grilled meats of any kind.
Other delicious recipes to try:
- Homemade Beans Dip With Tomato Onion Topping (full of color and flavor)
- Delicious Pan Fried Zucchini (easy summer veggie recipe)
- Tomato Scrambled Eggs (a quick breakfast or brunch)
Tomato Cucumber Onion Salad
- 3 medium size ripe tomatoes
- 1 yellow sweet pepper
- 2 small cucumbers
- 1 medium size red onion
- fresh parsley (to taste)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 3 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- Prepare the vegetables. Clean and rinse the tomatoes, cucumbers and pepper. Cut the pepper and get rid of the seeds. Peel the cucumbers and the onion.
- Prepare a large bawl for the tomato salad. Start by slicing the cucumbers. Next, julienne the pepper and the red onion. Chop the parsley.
- Slice the tomatoes and put them on top of everything else. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper to taste and give it a quick toss.
- Pour the extra virgin olive oil over the salad and toss again, mixing well all together. Serve immediately as a side dish to virtually almost everything.