Easy cheesy mashed potatoes. Yum! Mashed potatoes are a staple side dish recipe that pretty much everyone loves.
You can make it with any kind of potatoes you have, but it’s more tasty made with a starchy potato type like Yukon Gold. It’s so easy to do and full of deliciousness it can be eaten on its on.
I cook it often, and make it in various consistencies as in the mood of the moment. Sometimes I use more butter, or more milk or sour cream. But results are always delicious. It’s practically impossible to go wrong making mashed potatoes. 🙂
Let’s see what I used for this recipe.
🥔Ingredients For Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
- Potatoes – starchy potatoes give best results, but any kind will do
- Butter – important ingredient for richness and flavor
- Milk – to get to desired consistency
- Cheese – Feta cheese, but you can’t go wrong with cream cheese & Parmesan
🧀 How To Make Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
1️ Step one: Put to boil
Peel and rinse the potatoes. Cut them in chunks and put to boil with cold water, just enough to cover them well. Add some salt to your taste and bring to boiling point. Then lower the heat and let them simmer partially covered until fork tender. It will take about 20-25 minutes.
When they are done, drain the water. I like to keep some of that water whenever I want to obtain a more creamier consistency but have no milk left in the fridge. Keep that in mind. Next, time to mash.
2️ Step two: Mash the boiled potatoes
I like to use a masher and mash potatoes by hand. Add the butter, the milk (optional) and bits of feta cheese (or whatever cheese you have) and mash everything together until smooth. Taste for saltiness.
If everything is OK, place it onto a serving dish, decorate with black pepper or chopped chives, parsley and serve immediately.
That’s it! Your mashed potatoes are ready to be served. Simple and easy to do.
🥄 Serving Mashed Potatoes As Side Dish
Mashed potatoes goes well as side dish with virtually everything. especially for barbecue, stakes or stews (like my garlic tomato chicken). Or any fried meats like I did in this fried chicken livers recipe.
👉 Mashed Potatoes Variations
Being one of those heavily cooked side dish recipe, you can try many versions of it. Just keep out the cheese and after mashing potatoes:
- add 2-3 tbsp of freshly chopped parsley & 2 pressed garlic cloves
- add 2-3 tbsp of freshly chopped chives and cream instead of milk
- make it vegan leaving out butter & milk and incorporate 2 caramelized golden onions and their coking oil
Note!* Make just enough as you need for serving at one meal, because it loses its taste when reheating. And is a shame not to enjoy your meal at its fullest potential!
Other delicious recipe for you to cook:
- Romanian Stuffed Peppers (a real treat, must try recipe)
- Romanian Smoky Eggplant Spread (sooo delicious, you’ll become addicted)
- Creamy Rice Pudding (indulge yourself with a bawl of childhood dessert)
Rate this recipe
Cast your stars below
Cheesy Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 2,2 lbs (1kg) potatoes
- 2/3 cup (75g) butter (at room temperature)
- 2/3 cup (75g) feta cheese (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk
- 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- Peel and rinse well the potatoes. Cut them in quarters or chunks and place them in a medium sized pot with enough cold water to cover them. Add salt and bring to boiling point. Then lower the heat and continue simmering until fork tender, approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Drain the cooking water, saving some if you like to make it creamier or for the vegan version. Add the butter, milk and cheese and start mashing until becomes a smooth paste.
- Transfer onto the serving dish and sprinkle with black pepper or chopped parsley / chives. Eat it at one meal, it loses it taste after several hours.