Pizza with salami – a simple, cheap and easy to make recipe for all pizza lovers.
If you have salami in the fridge, don’t hesitate: put your salami on pizza, cover with some shredded cheese and enjoy!
Pizza is a simple Italian dish that goes way back, it was first recorded in the 10th century.
Now has become one of the most popular foods in the world, a very common fast-food and street food item.
It first started as a cheap meal with just cheese & tomatoes (pizza Margherita).
Nowadays it’s made with sophisticated ingredients like: quality ham Prosciutto crudo or cotto, all kinds of cheese (Quatro Stagioni) and of course the indispensable Mozzarella.
We can now even find Pineapple pizza. Not many like it, but I do. It’s something different that I enjoy.
But enough about these pricey ingredients, let’s talk about the cheapest pizza variation: salami pizza.
You can make a cheap pizza with whatever you have at hand in your fridge. I presume that everyone has some salami slices or some leftover ham or even sausages.
If you can also find a few mushrooms and a cup of tomato puree, you’re in for a quick treat in a family night or get together game night. So, let’s get cookin’, shall we?
🍄 Pizza With Salami Ingredients
I’m sure you can find some of these in your fridge / pantry:
- Salami – any kind will do, or ham, sausages
- Cheese – Mozzarella or whatever cheese you have
- Mushrooms – to enhance texture and taste
- Tomato puree (passata)
- Olive oil
- Dry yeast
- Flour – regular flour works fine
- Oregano and basil – flavors for the pizza sauce
- Salt and pepper, a little sugar
🍕 How To Make Pizza With Salami At Home
We are going to make this recipe from scratch, including the pizza dough. I don’t know about you, but I like my meals fresh and made by my hand most of the time.
It’s not difficult, and I already told you I like to play with the dough. 🙂
So let’s start making that pizza dough.
1️ Step one: Make the pizza dough
Sift the flour into a stand mixer bowl or use a medium kitchen bowl if you’re doing it by hand. Add 1/2 tsp salt and mix.
Activate the yeast by dissolving it together with 1 tsp sugar in half of the warm water. Let it activate for about 3 minutes.
Pour it over the flour and start the mixer or mix with a spoon to start forming the dough.
Add the oil and slowly the rest of the liquid as much as needed – depending on how dry the flour is.
Sprinkle some flour on the working surface and continue kneading for 5 minutes until smooth.
Form a small ball, cover it and let it rise for about 40 minutes.
2️ Step two: Make the pizza sauce
Put together in a small saucepan the tomato puree, sugar, oregano, basil and a pinch of pepper. If you eat spicy you can add some chili sauce or flakes.
Simmer on low flame for a few minutes and stir so the flavors blend together. Turn off the heat and let it cool off. Shred the cheese, peel and slice the mushrooms.
3️ Step Three: Put your salami on pizza & bake
Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 425F (220C).
Roll your dough into a round pizza form by the size of the baking tray. Transfer it gently onto the tray and spread 1/3 of the flavored pizza sauce over it (must be cooled off completely).
Arrange the salami slices as you please all over the pizza dough. Top with sliced mushrooms and finish with the shredded cheese.
Bake the salami pizza for about 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Take it out of the oven, slice and serve while still worm.
This homemade pizza with salami is done.
🍴 Serving Pizza With Salami
Slice in individual portions and serve with the rest of the pizza sauce aside. This will disappear fast from your plates.
You might want to double the quantities if you have guests, to be on the safe side.
Freeze pizza dough
You can also double the dough quantities to make one extra make ahead pizza dough. Roll out 1/2 of it. Bake it for 5 minutes (just the dough).
Let it cool off, cover in cling film or place into a plastic bag and freeze it for another time. Freeze it up to 3 months.
Just thaw for about 1 hour, top with your favorite toppings and continue the baking process.
Pizza topping variations
- Other meats: you can add sausages, sliced ham, Mortadella (Italian salami), anchovy
- Vegetables: variate adding onion rings, bell pepper slices, zucchini slices, olives, diced pineapple
If somehow there’s any leftovers, cover in cling film and store them in the fridge for about 3-4 days.
Heat them in the oven to serve warm just before eating.
What type of salami goes on pizza?
For homemade pizza you can use any type you have at hand. Most used salami are Genoa and Pepperoni.
What toppings are good with salami?
Just about anything you imagine. Depending on personal taste and to variate use other meats or vegetables as shown above.
What is salami pizza made of?
Salami pizza is made from a roll out flour based pizza dough and spread with pizza sauce. Then topped with Italian salami, different vegetables and shredded Mozzarella cheese.
Is salami spicier than pepperoni?
No, pepperoni has a more spicier flavor than salami. It’s also more delicate and slightly smoked.
Other delicious recipes for your family:
- Bacon, Mushroom And Tomato Pasta (delicious spaghetti)
- Chicken Liver Fry Recipe (pan fried chicken livers)
- Romanian Cabbage Rolls (ground pork stuffed sour cabbage leaves)
Pizza With Salami - Put Your Salami On Pizza!
For the pizza dough:
- 10.6 oz (1¾cups/300g) plain flour +2 tbsp for kneading
- 6.7 fl oz (1cup/200ml) lukewarm water +2 tbsp if needed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp (3g) dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
For pizza sauce:
- 1 cup (200ml) tomato puree
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp dry basil
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
For pizza topping:
- 5.3 oz (150g) salami
- 2 mushrooms
- 5.3 oz (150g) mozzarella cheese
- Make the pizza dough: Sift the flour with the salt into a bawl. Activate the yeast dissolving it in half of the water with the sugar. Let it sit for 3 minutes. Pour it over the flour and start forming the dough. Add the olive oil and the rest of the liquid as much as needed. If it needs more liquid, add 1-2 tbsp until the dough can be kneaded. Continue kneading on the working space for about 5 minutes until smooth. Cover and let it rise 40 minutes.
- Make the sauce: in a small saucepan combine the tomato puree, sugar, oregano, basil and pepper. Add some chili drops if you eat spicy (optional). Simmer for a few minutes on low heat, stirring to blend all flavors together. Let it cool off completely. Peel and slice the mushrooms. Shred the cheese. Prepare a baking tray and line it with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 475F (220C).
- Compose the pizza: Roll out the dough into a round form just about the size of the baking tray and spread on it 1/3 of the tomato sauce. Top with salami slices, mushrooms and shredded cheese. Bake for about 12-15 minutes. Slice and serve with the remaining pizza sauce.