This green peas stew is a dish I’m cooking very often. It’s light, sweet, delicious, easy to make and loved by all family members. The little ones are enjoying it the most.
I make it usually with chicken, but you can use other meats too. The season for fresh green peas is short but we can find frozen peas all year long at just about any grocery store.
You can make this recipe with both frozen or fresh peas.
I often use frozen vegetables for side dishes, they need just a quick boil or a little stir fry cooking to enjoy them at their maximum taste and nutritional values.
Let’s see what we need for this dish.
🍗 Ingredients For This Stew
We don’t need much for this recipe. Just some few ingredients we need to have at hand.
- Green peas – fresh or frozen, doesn’t matter
- Chicken drumsticks – or any chicken parts
- Canned tomatoes – or fresh if in season
- Golden onions and some garlic
- Fresh dill it’s a must
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Vegetable cooking oil
- Sour cream for serving (optional)
🍲 How To Make This Green Peas Stew
First, put some water to boil in a medium size pot for the peas. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and when it comes to a rolling boil add the frozen / fresh green peas to cook.
It doesn’t need much, in about 8-10 minutes the peas is done.
Step one: prepare ingredients
Wash and pat dry the chicken drumsticks. Get a large enough pan and pour in 5 tbsp cooking oil. Let it heat and brown the meat on all sides for about 10 minutes. Set aside.
Meanwhile, finely chop the onions and slice one garlic clove. Get another pot and saute the onion and garlic together in 4 tbsp cooking oil, stirring often for about 5 minutes.
When the onion starts to brown, add the canned tomatoes. Stir a few times and let them cook about 10 minutes to lose acidity.
Step two: add the meat
Now the sauce has reduced in volume and we need to add some liquid for the meat to cook in. Add 2 ladles of the green peas water and add the chicken to the sauce.
If necessary add some water too. Season with salt and pepper to taste, add 1 tsp of sugar to correct acidity (optional). Let the meat cook in this sauce until it’s done. Cover partially and stir from time to time.
That will take another 20-25 minutes depending on the size of the chicken drumsticks.
Step three: add the green peas
When the meat is cooked through, drain the peas water and add the green peas to the sauce.
Together with the freshly chopped dill and another sliced garlic clove (optional, but recommended for more tastiness). Yum!
Stir everything carefully and allow all the ingredients to cook together another 5 minutes for all the flavors to blend.
Turn off the heat and that’s it! Our green peas stew is ready to be served.
🍽️ Serving This Green Peas Stew
This stew is served with any favorite bread and whatever fresh salad or pickles you have at hand.
Top with a dollop of sour cream and more fresh dill for complete deliciousness.
You can double the quantities and have a nice meal to keep you covered for 2-3 days. Just cover the pot with a lid and keep it in the fridge.
Add a little water when reheating.
Enjoy this Romanian style green peas stew!
I recommend this peas stew for its nutritional qualities and I cook it often as it’s relatively easy to make and super colorful and tasty.
I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I do.
Other delicious recipes for your family:
- Eggplant Pork And Tomato Stew (my grandpa’s favorite)
- Romanian Roasted Peppers Salad (beautiful side for this dish)
- Romanian White Beans Stew (comforting, cold season recipe)
Green Peas Stew (Frozen or Fresh)
- 1 lb (450g) frozen green peas
- 7-8 chicken drumsticks
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 medium size golden onions
- 1+1 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- 5+4 tbsp cooking oil
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- sour cream to serve (optional)
- Put some water to boil for the green peas. Add 1 tsp salt. When it comes to the boiling point add the peas and let them cook for 8-10 minutes.Wash and dry the chicken drumsticks. Brown them on all sides in a large enough frying pan with 5 tbsp cooking oil. Set aside.Chop the onion and slice 1 garlic clove. Saute them in a cooking pot until the onion starts to color. Add the canned tomatoes. Stir and leave to cook 10 minutes.
- Add 2 ladles of peas water and season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the sauce and some water if necessary. Stir and let the chicken completely cook for about 20-25 minutes.
- When the meat is done, drain the peas water and add the green peas to the pot. Add the freshly chopped dill and the second garlic clove (optional). Stir gently and let all cook together another 5 minutes.Turn off the flame and serve with your favorite bread and fresh salad or pickles. Top with sour cream and more fresh dill.Cover the pot with a lid and keep in the fridge up to 3 days.